How do you stretch a short book into three films? By adding dozens of characters, of course.
If the new trailer for the final film in The Hobbit trilogy is any indication, pretty much every character from the last two Hobbit films, plus plenty of Lord of the Rings characters who never show up in J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit (looking at you, Legolas), will make an appearance in The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies. They’ll all come together for a 45-minute battle scene that’s bound to get fans who yearned for the good old days of Return of the King after watching that endless barrel fighting scene in last year’s The Desolation of Smaug excited.
Oh right, and Benedict Cumberbatch’s dragon still hasn’t been slayed, so Bilbo will have to deal with that, too.
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.