Kacey Musgraves had a big night at the Country Music Awards last night. She won Song of the Year, performed with Loretta Lynn and became a trending topic on Twitter thanks to her Priscilla Presley-inspired hairstyle. In between all of this, she made time to give an interview with Jimmy Kimmel — via hologram.
Musgraves beamed into Hollywood from Nashville, greeting Kimmel with a virtual high-five. She spoke about performing with her idol, keeping it a secret from her grandmother and experiencing an embarrassing wardrobe malfunction moments before taking the stage.
Holography has been used in recent years in decidedly creepier ways: Both Tupac Shakur and Michael Jackson were virtually resurrected to perform at Coachella and the Billboard Music Awards, respectively. It remains to be seen whether the technology will catch on. If nothing else, it certainly saves money on airfare.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Eliza Berman at firstname.lastname@example.org