Kacey Musgraves had a big night at the Country Music Awards last night. She won Song of the Year, performed with Loretta Lynn and became a trending topic on Twitter thanks to her Priscilla Presley-inspired hairstyle. In between all of this, she made time to give an interview with Jimmy Kimmel — via hologram.
Musgraves beamed into Hollywood from Nashville, greeting Kimmel with a virtual high-five. She spoke about performing with her idol, keeping it a secret from her grandmother and experiencing an embarrassing wardrobe malfunction moments before taking the stage.
Holography has been used in recent years in decidedly creepier ways: Both Tupac Shakur and Michael Jackson were virtually resurrected to perform at Coachella and the Billboard Music Awards, respectively. It remains to be seen whether the technology will catch on. If nothing else, it certainly saves money on airfare.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving