Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper’s last two movies together, Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle, earned the stars ample praise and accolades, often pointing to the pair’s chemistry onscreen. Now the duo attempts to carry on that success with Serena, a Depression-era drama that’s equal parts romance and crime.
In the new trailer, cut for U.S. audiences, Lawrence and Cooper are again shown playing Serena and George Pemberton, tycoons of a timber empire in 1930s North Carolina. We see glimpses of their whirlwind romance, the personal and business dilemmas that follow, and the drastic action Serena takes to try to preserve their future together. Adapted from a novel by Ron Rash and directed by Susanne Bier, the film has been long in the making, cycling through some casting and directorial changes and followed by a lengthy editing process.
Though the duo have made their biggest impact in dramedies, it remains to be seen how they’ll fare in a movie that dials the humor way down and elevates the drama. Serena was released in Europe this month, and preliminary reviews are middling at best. Perhaps the film will fare better among American audiences when it hits U.S. theaters in February 2015.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief