Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper’s last two movies together, Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle, earned the stars ample praise and accolades, often pointing to the pair’s chemistry onscreen. Now the duo attempts to carry on that success with Serena, a Depression-era drama that’s equal parts romance and crime.
In the new trailer, cut for U.S. audiences, Lawrence and Cooper are again shown playing Serena and George Pemberton, tycoons of a timber empire in 1930s North Carolina. We see glimpses of their whirlwind romance, the personal and business dilemmas that follow, and the drastic action Serena takes to try to preserve their future together. Adapted from a novel by Ron Rash and directed by Susanne Bier, the film has been long in the making, cycling through some casting and directorial changes and followed by a lengthy editing process.
Though the duo have made their biggest impact in dramedies, it remains to be seen how they’ll fare in a movie that dials the humor way down and elevates the drama. Serena was released in Europe this month, and preliminary reviews are middling at best. Perhaps the film will fare better among American audiences when it hits U.S. theaters in February 2015.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time