Robel Phillipos, a friend of alleged Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, for making false statements to federal investigators about evidence pertaining to the crime. Sentencing is set for January.
Reyhaneh Jabbari, an Iranian woman, as punishment for murder, purportedly in self-defense against a man she said tried to rape her. The U.N. and Amnesty International had asked Iran to halt the execution.
Oscar Taveras, 22, an outfielder for the St. Louis Cardinals, after losing control of his car. His girlfriend Edilia Arvelo was also killed.
Galway Kinnell, 87, a poet who won the Pulitzer Prize for his Selected Poems. His first breakout poem was a 14-part ode to Avenue C in Manhattan.
Marine Lance Corporal Sean P. Neal, 19, the first U.S. service member to die fighting ISIS in Iraq. The circumstances of his death are being investigated.
The unmanned Antares rocket, six seconds after launch in eastern Virginia. It had been contracted by NASA to deliver supplies to the crew of the International Space Station.
This appears in the November 10, 2014 issue of TIME.
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement