It’s entirely possible that you forgot — or that your city celebrates Indigenous People’s Day instead — but today is Columbus Day. This got the writers at John Oliver’s HBO show Last Week Tonight asking themselves a question: Why is this holiday still a thing?
The segment makes a pretty solid case against this national holiday — and then offers some ideas for other Italian people we could honor instead. Frank Sinatra? Mario Batali? Al Pacino? None of them killed any indigenous people. That we know of.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving