It’s a sign of good songwriting that “Shake It Off” is as catchy in Taylor Swift’s head-bopping pop version as it is in a new retro take on the song by Postmodern Jukebox.
The video from the talented crew is filled with vintage glamour, Motown style and undeniably catchy harmonies courtesy of the back-up singers and horn section. Debonaire singer Von Smith belts out the tune, gleefully reminding the world that players are gonna play play play. YouTube poster and pianist Scott Bradlee accompanies him to deliver a jazzy rendition that will have you wanting to shake shake shaking it off on the dance floor (or at your desk).
The smooth remake of Swift’s song somehow manages to sound even more upbeat than the original. The retrofitting of the song is so seamless it’s easy to imagine that “Shake It Off” will be a jazz standard soon enough.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time