French President Francois Hollande threatened to sue a gossip magazine Friday after it alleged he had an affair with an actress.
The weekly tabloid Closer, which once published topless photos of Kate Middleton, has alleged that Hollande had an affair with Julie Gayet, who has appeared in 90 films and once appeared in one of Hollande’s campaign advertisements. Hollande called the report an “attack on the right to privacy” and said he was considering legal action against the magazine.
But as the BBC reports, Hollande, whose partner is journalist Valerie Trierweiler, has not denied the allegations of an affair. Closer claimed to have published photographs proving that Hollande routinely spends the night at Gayet’s apartment in Paris.
Gayet has not commented on the magazine’s reports.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time