Danish electro-pop singer Karen Marie Ørsted, aka MØ, is on the brink of breaking big. Her cover of the Spice Girls’s “Say You’ll Be There” ranks with the best and most transformative covers ever, while her ironically danceable “I Don’t Wanna Dance” is the perfect dancing-with-myself song choice. In short, it’s hard not to be a fan.
Her debut album, No Mythologies to Follow, hit stores in March and was filled with mature electro-pop tunes, including “Maiden,” a slow-burner jam destined to soundtrack a future film noire montage. Today, TIME premieres the demo version of that track — and it casts the song in entirely new light.
Starting out with a mournful, gospel-inflected humming, this mix of “Maiden” is darkly haunting with gothic overtones. Expect to find it on many break-up playlists.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time