Scotland wasn’t the only country watching the vote for independence Thursday night. St. Andrews Restaurant & Bar in New York City had its own crowd of Scottish expats, tourists, Americans, and more watching the television and waiting to see if Scotland was going to become independent or not.
The night might have ended with a “No,” but it didn’t drown out the shouts of “Yes!” that rang through the bar (with a ferocity no less than a Scotland/England soccer game) each time a voting result was revealed. TIME spent the evening there and filmed the reactions and opinions of the many “yes voters” and “no voters” present.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer