Scotland wasn’t the only country watching the vote for independence Thursday night. St. Andrews Restaurant & Bar in New York City had its own crowd of Scottish expats, tourists, Americans, and more watching the television and waiting to see if Scotland was going to become independent or not.
The night might have ended with a “No,” but it didn’t drown out the shouts of “Yes!” that rang through the bar (with a ferocity no less than a Scotland/England soccer game) each time a voting result was revealed. TIME spent the evening there and filmed the reactions and opinions of the many “yes voters” and “no voters” present.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate