From time to time, great swaths of humanity are united by one common purpose—to fritter away what time they have left on Earth standing or sitting or sleeping in a line to get Apple’s latest iPhone. Today, which marks the release of Apple’s iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, is one of those days.
The conventional wisdom in these modern times says we’re too busy, pulled in different directions, frantically running from task to task in our over-connected, over-digitized lives.
But today, from Kentucky to Kansas, from Canada to Germany and across the globe humans are taking a stand that says, “No! We are not slaves to the rat race. See? We’re waiting in line for ungodly spans of time to be first to get a marginally better tiny computer because we literally have nothing better to do.”
This is how you know the apocalypse is near:
Then, in the distance, a voice of sanity, a ray of hope for humankind:
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time