Earlier this week, the New York Post reported that the NYPD had been given directives on using social media: Be funny. “Tasteful humor is good,” the Twitter handbook (yes, really) said.
So to test out its Twitter schtick, the New York Police Department’s Midtown South precinct posted a photo of an arrested woman in an Elmo outfit with the message: “Just another day in Midtown South. Elmo arrested in Times Square.”
We don’t know where exactly embarrassing someone arrested for panhandling in a sting operation falls on the “tasteful” scale, but there you go.
According to a local ABC affiliate:
There has recently been a crackdown on costumed characters asking tourists for tips in Times Square. Surely the NYPD’s Twitter stream will be keeping followers up-to-date if things with Hello Kitty get out of line.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy