Earlier this week, the New York Post reported that the NYPD had been given directives on using social media: Be funny. “Tasteful humor is good,” the Twitter handbook (yes, really) said.
So to test out its Twitter schtick, the New York Police Department’s Midtown South precinct posted a photo of an arrested woman in an Elmo outfit with the message: “Just another day in Midtown South. Elmo arrested in Times Square.”
We don’t know where exactly embarrassing someone arrested for panhandling in a sting operation falls on the “tasteful” scale, but there you go.
According to a local ABC affiliate:
There has recently been a crackdown on costumed characters asking tourists for tips in Times Square. Surely the NYPD’s Twitter stream will be keeping followers up-to-date if things with Hello Kitty get out of line.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time