Earlier this week, the New York Post reported that the NYPD had been given directives on using social media: Be funny. “Tasteful humor is good,” the Twitter handbook (yes, really) said.
So to test out its Twitter schtick, the New York Police Department’s Midtown South precinct posted a photo of an arrested woman in an Elmo outfit with the message: “Just another day in Midtown South. Elmo arrested in Times Square.”
We don’t know where exactly embarrassing someone arrested for panhandling in a sting operation falls on the “tasteful” scale, but there you go.
According to a local ABC affiliate:
There has recently been a crackdown on costumed characters asking tourists for tips in Times Square. Surely the NYPD’s Twitter stream will be keeping followers up-to-date if things with Hello Kitty get out of line.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out