19-year-old Florida man Eric Vanyo was arrested late Thursday in connection with thefts from two elderly people, a 93-year-old man and a 93-year-old woman, in the same night.
The Broward sheriff’s detectives assigned to the case said that Vanyo stole power tools, a television and a wedding ring from the man after prying open the door to his house. Vanyo then took “several pieces of jewelry” from the woman after having accessed her home through her laundry room; she woke to find him rummaging through her dresser. He then sold the items to a pawn shop, Local10 reports.
This is not the first time Vanyo has stolen from this 93-year-old man, detectives believe: In July, they say Vanyo stole a gold ring, a watch and two rolls of quarters.
Vanyo was arrested based on evidence obtained from the scene of the first burglary, where he cut himself; DNA from the blood was used to link Vanyo to the crime. He could be charged with “three counts of occupied burglary, fraud and possession of stolen property,” according to Local10.
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up