The British sci-fi television show Doctor Who premiered in 1963 and stars a time-traveling alien called The Doctor. As a plot device, the Doctor is able to regenerate himself into an entirely “new,” person which allows for the show’s producers to conveniently change the lead actor as they see fit, with the thirteenth and latest incarnation of The Doctor played by Peter Capaldi.
Take a look back at all the actors who’ve played the Doctor over the years.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org