Despite their yellow skin, overbites, and the fact that they only have four fingers, quite a few residents of the Simpson’s hometown of Springfield are based on real people.
Homer, Marge, Maggie, and Lisa are named after Matt Groening’s family, but other characters are a little more obvious. Rainier Wolfcastle, for example, is an Austrian-born bodybuilder-turned-actor-turned-politician. Who do we know that sounds like that?
From A-list celebrities, to little known comedians and golden age stars, the Simpson’s universe is populated by some very real-life characters.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space