Licia Albanese, celebrated soprano, at the age of 105. She performed with the Metropolitan Opera more than 400 times from 1940 to 1966.
Yoga guru B.K.S. Iyengar, who taught the practice for more than eight decades and is credited with helping bring yoga to the West. He was 95.
By Julian Assange, that he will “soon” leave the Ecuadorean embassy in London, where he was granted asylum two years ago. The WikiLeaks founder has not announced his next destination.
For $38.1 million, a Ferrari, setting a new record for the most expensive car ever auctioned. The red 250 GTO Berlinetta was one of just 36 built from 1961 to 1964.
A new plant “language” in which genetic information is exchanged. Plants were already known to communicate by releasing chemicals as a signal of distress.
Longtime NBA referee Dick Bavetta, 74, who officiated in professional basketball for 39 years, refereeing in a record 2,635 consecutive regular-season games.
This appears in the September 01, 2014 issue of TIME.
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future