Jonathan Koppenhaver, a mixed martial-arts fighter from California known as “War Machine,” was arrested Friday after a weeklong manhunt sparked by the alleged beating of his porn star ex-girlfriend.
Koppenhaver, 32, was found in a hotel in Simi Valley, 30 miles outside downtown Los Angeles, where a hotel guest who witnessed the arrest told local media station KTLA that officers used a Taser on Koppenhaver. A second hotel guest said she called the police to the hotel after seeing a large man yelling at a petite woman who was trying to calm him down, grabbing her hair and pushing her.
Christy Mack, Koppenhaver’s ex-girlfriend and an actress in the adult entertainment industry, posted harrowing pictures on Twitter showing the injuries she said were dealt to her by Koppenhaver. They include broken bones around her eyes, a broken bone, missing teeth, a fractured rib and a ruptured liver, Mack said.
Mack said Koppenhaver returned to her home after their relationship ended in May, beat her friend who was with her at the time, then made her undress and shower in front of him before he assaulted her.
Koppenhaver posted his own defense on Twitter.
He has been charged with several counts of battery, including by strangulation, as well as assault with a deadly weapon, among other charges.
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up