A rebellious military disc jockey, an exuberant and gifted English professor, a magical genie trapped inside a lamp, a bawdy but kindly elderly nanny–these vastly different characters flowed from the mind of just one person.
Robin Williams took his own life on Monday, but the multitude of unforgettable characters he willed into being with unmatched energy and warmth live on. Over his almost four-decades-long career, Williams donned prosthetics, dressed up in drag, and scrunched his face beyond recognition in the name of quality entertainment.
Take a look back and marvel at how the same guy who made you laugh as Mork from Ork also tugged at your heartstrings in Good Will Hunting.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction