Updated at 9:25 PM EST to include complete statement.
Nathan Lane and Robin Williams made comedy history when they co-starred in the 1996 film The Birdcage, the hit film version of the much-adapted French play La Cage aux Folles. They played domestic partners, Williams as the owner as a drag club and Lane as its histrionic star.
In a statement to TIME, Lane remembers his friend and colleague, who died Aug. 11 at the age of 63:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com