If the movie Fargo is to be believed, North Dakotans are a special bunch—warm and kind, with a funny accent and a can-do attitude. From Fargo again comes a heartwarming story, this time with a less gruesome ending.
A woman was out running errands with her daughter, the Associated Press reports, when she found a wallet with $1,000 inside. The woman, Sadie Hill, opted to return the wallet to J. Pat Wiggington to set a good example for her daughter, Adalee. As the AP notes, Hill is a single mother who works two jobs, and could have used the money:
Initially, Wigginton didn’t get their names, but said that he appreciated their honesty; with the help of a local-interest TV story, however, he found Hill and her daughter and sent them a $200 gift card for this year’s back-to-school shopping.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List