Whether you’ve read all the Song of Ice and Fire books by George R.R. Martin or just watched HBO’s Game of Thrones TV show, you’ve probably looked for clues as to who Jon Snow’s mother really is. As far as Jon Snow knows, he’s the bastard son of Ned Stark. But some fans thinks Ned lied about Jon’s parentage. Jon may in fact be the son of Ned’s sister, Lyanna Stark, and the former king, Rhaegar Targaryan. That means that Jon Snow could have even more of a claim to the Iron Throne than Deanerys.
The theory is known online as R+L=J and is elegantly summed up in this video by Alt Shift X. Don’t worry TV-only fans: there are no spoilers for plot lines to come.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List