Here are the stories TIME is following on Thursday, July 17.
The “humanitarian pause” between Israel and Hamas is over as rockets were fired into Israel at 3 p.m. local time. Israeli officials say a ground invasion of Gaza is increasingly likely.
A Federal Judge ruled that California’s death penalty system is so broken that it has become unconstitutional, violating the eighth amendment’s ban on “cruel and unusual punishment.”
President Obama announced further sanctions against Russian companies in response to the country’s continued involvement in Ukraine .
And finally, the ESPYS had a lot of winners, and rapper-turned-host Drake dressed up as a whole lot of them, cosplaying some of the night’s biggest stars as part of his emcee duties.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time