Here are the stories TIME is following on Thursday, July 17.
The “humanitarian pause” between Israel and Hamas is over as rockets were fired into Israel at 3 p.m. local time. Israeli officials say a ground invasion of Gaza is increasingly likely.
A Federal Judge ruled that California’s death penalty system is so broken that it has become unconstitutional, violating the eighth amendment’s ban on “cruel and unusual punishment.”
President Obama announced further sanctions against Russian companies in response to the country’s continued involvement in Ukraine .
And finally, the ESPYS had a lot of winners, and rapper-turned-host Drake dressed up as a whole lot of them, cosplaying some of the night’s biggest stars as part of his emcee duties.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World