Sofia Coppola, director of Lost In Translation, The Bling Ring and Marie Antoinette, is in talks with Universal and Working Title to direct a live-action adoption of The Little Mermaid, Deadline reports.
Caroline Thompson, who wrote Edward Scissorhands and The Corpse Bride, is currently rewriting the script, which is based on the Danish author Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tale from 1837. The story was animated by Disney in 1989. Previous drafts of the script were attempted by Fifty Shades Of Grey author Kelly Marcel and Shame writer Abi Morgan.
According to Deadline, “the intention is to move quickly.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space