Here are the stories TIME is watching this Monday, July 14.
Egypt’s proposed cease-fire fell through as Israel resumed attacks on Gaza, after Hamas reportedly rejected the plan.
A plane full of undocumented women and children were flown back to Honduras from the U.S., after being held in New Mexico detention centers. U.S. Homeland Security Officials say that this planeload will be the first of many.
During one of the worst droughts in its history, California considers emergency regulations that could see residents fined $500 for wasting water.
And finally, Derek Jeter plays in his last MLB All Star Game tonight — but he’s not letting that, or a touching Nike tribute video, get to him.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction