Four years ago today on July 16, 2010, Instagram CEO and co-founder Kevin Systrom uploaded the first photo to the app, which was called Codename at the time. This picture of a golden retriever was taken at a taco stand called “Tacos Chilakos”, and the foot belongs to Systrom’s girlfriend, according to a spokesperson for Instagram. The name of the dog and its owner are unknown.
It may come as no surprise that the first image was a photo of a dog. After all, Instagram has become the kind of site where dogs can become celebrities, as a Shiba Inu and a persistently smiley dog named Tuna boast more than 890,000 followers and 870,000 followers respectively.
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time