Four years ago today on July 16, 2010, Instagram CEO and co-founder Kevin Systrom uploaded the first photo to the app, which was called Codename at the time. This picture of a golden retriever was taken at a taco stand called “Tacos Chilakos”, and the foot belongs to Systrom’s girlfriend, according to a spokesperson for Instagram. The name of the dog and its owner are unknown.
It may come as no surprise that the first image was a photo of a dog. After all, Instagram has become the kind of site where dogs can become celebrities, as a Shiba Inu and a persistently smiley dog named Tuna boast more than 890,000 followers and 870,000 followers respectively.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.