After Meg Ryan faked an orgasm in Katz’s Deli in When Harry Met Sally, she was launched into superstardom. But in an interview with HuffPost Live, director Rob Reiner says he was actually the one who taught the young actress everything she knows about faking it.
“Meg was nervous,” Reiner said of filming what became the iconic “I’ll have what she’s having” scene. “Obviously you’re in front of extras and all the crew members and everything. So the first few times we did it, she did it kind of weak. It was a little tepid.”
Reiner then told her, “‘Look, let me show you what I want’ after a few takes that weren’t so good. I sat down opposite Billy… and I’m sitting there pounding the table, doing the whole thing.”
Shortly after, the director said, “I realized, this is embarrassing, I’m having an orgasm in front of my mother.”
He was, of course, referring to the woman who actually uttered the now-famous line, “I’ll have what she’s having.”
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022