After Meg Ryan faked an orgasm in Katz’s Deli in When Harry Met Sally, she was launched into superstardom. But in an interview with HuffPost Live, director Rob Reiner says he was actually the one who taught the young actress everything she knows about faking it.
“Meg was nervous,” Reiner said of filming what became the iconic “I’ll have what she’s having” scene. “Obviously you’re in front of extras and all the crew members and everything. So the first few times we did it, she did it kind of weak. It was a little tepid.”
Reiner then told her, “‘Look, let me show you what I want’ after a few takes that weren’t so good. I sat down opposite Billy… and I’m sitting there pounding the table, doing the whole thing.”
Shortly after, the director said, “I realized, this is embarrassing, I’m having an orgasm in front of my mother.”
He was, of course, referring to the woman who actually uttered the now-famous line, “I’ll have what she’s having.”
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement