Here are the stories TIME is watching this Thursday, July 10.
Israel ramps up airstrikes on Gaza. Palestinian authorities call the high civilian death count “state terrorism,” while Israel blames the casualties on Hamas for using hospitals and homes as military bases.
The polarizing Indonesian presidential election continues as both candidates claim victory with the results remaining unknown until July 22.
A study of Colorado’s legal marijuana market predicts the state will sell more than 130 tons of pot this year.
And finally, the world’s tallest water slide is crazy! Named “Verruckt” after the German word for “insane,” the 168-foot tall slide is taller than Niagara Falls.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space