Nearly seven years after publishing the final book in the Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling has given fans an update on the beloved wizard in new writing published to her website Pottermore.
In the new story, written as a gossip-column dispatch from Potter character Rita Skeeter in the Daily Prophet, Harry is now a 30-something with a mysterious cut on his cheek, as well as “a couple of threads of silver” in his hair. He is also married to Ron Weasley’s sister, Ginny Potter, who is now a journalist. Ron, of course, is married to Hermione Granger, while Skeeter writes that his “famous ginger hair appears to be thinning slightly.”
Job-wise, it appears that the three friends all worked together in the Ministry of Magic, though Ron left his job to “co-manage the highly successful wizarding joke emporium Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes.” Meanwhile, Hermione — “the femme fatale of the group,” according to Skeeter — is the deputy head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.
The update appears in a series of Quidditch World Cup pieces that Rowling has posted to Pottermore to coincide with the World Cup in Brazil. However, this is the first time Rowling has written about her beloved characters as adults since the final Potter book, which likely explains why the website crashed intermittently Tuesday morning.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears