This article originally appeared on Food & Wine.
Apple pie might be the ultimate American dessert, but we contend that it’s better in the fall. Here are 10 bright and tangy summer fruit pies to make for July 4th.
1. Marilyn Batali’s Blackberry Pie
This exquisite pie is made with Mario Batali’s “favorite fruit in life.”
2. Peach-Raspberry Pie
Serve this excellent summer pie with whipped cream or a large scoop of vanilla ice cream.
3. Deep-Dish Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
What’s the secret to perfectly flaky crust? Add some lard to the dough.
4. Passion Fruit Ice Cream Pie with a Ginger Crust
This over-the-top dessert is topped with a mix of dulce de leche and passion fruit nectar.
5. Coconut-Buttermilk Pie with Blackberry Caramel
Bobby Flay’s spectacularly creamy custard pie is topped with silky blackberry caramel.
6. Deep-Dish Peach Streusel Pie with Ginger
Andrew Zimmern upgrades the classic peach pie by adding ground and candied ginger.
7. Stone Fruit Pie with Almond Streusel
Any combination of stone fruits (apricots, peaches, plums, cherries or nectarines) is perfect for this delicious pie.
8. Berry Ice Cream Pie
Blueberries and strawberry ice cream star in this terrific, fast dessert.
9. Cherry Hand Pies
Save on time by using puff pastry to make these fantastic pies.
10. Yogurt and Apricot Pie with Crunchy Granola Crust
Healthful ingredients in this pie include low-fat Greek yogurt, oats and almonds.
MORE: 19 New Ways to Eat Pie
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving