Anyone who has watched the World Cup knows by now that U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard is our new national hero.
Howard saved 16 shots on goal in the game agains Belgium Tuesday afternoon, setting a World Cup record since record keeping began in 1966. And though the U.S. finally lost 2-1, the outcome would have been far grislier for the Americans if not for Howard’s brilliance between the posts.
After the game, Howard was deadpan.
“That’s my job,” he said of his goalkeeping the match’s immediate aftermath, according to MLS Soccer. “That’s what I signed up to do.”
What else could Tim Howard have saved? As usual, the internet has not disappointed. Here are some of the highlights, collected from Twitter.
But why stop there? What else could Howard save — Humpty Dumpty? The Mets? The last season of Lost?
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time