A 22-year-old New York City resident survived being run over by three subway trains Sunday morning, according to the police.
Mary Downey, an Irish immigrant from Woodlawn in the Bronx, was drunk when she fell onto the tracks at the W. 49th Street station in Manhattan around 6 a.m., law enforcement authorities said. Two train operators drove over Downey without noticing her; fortunately, a third saw the woman’s waving hand, but was not able to stop the train before some of its cars passed over her. Officials speculated that Downey must have rolled to a position in between the platform and the trains before she was run over.
Downey was rushed to Bellevue Hospital after being removed from the tracks, but appeared to have suffered nothing more than a fractured shoulder. She was released several hours later.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org