Updated: June 27, 7:44 a.m. ET
Transformers star Shia LaBeouf was escorted out of a Broadway show and detained by New York City police following allegedly disruptive behavior during a performance of Cabaret on Thursday night, according to reports.
“He has been detained. He is expected to be charged but nothing has been filed yet,” an NYPD spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter. CNN reports that police said the actor had been drunk, disruptive to theatergoers at Studio 54 and lit a cigarette before being detained and led away in handcuffs. Police Spokesman Brian Sessa said LaBeouf was later charged with criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.
Broadway songwriter Benj Pasek tweeted that he saw the actor led away in tears.
No one from LaBeouf’s camp has yet commented on the incident.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org