Updated: June 27, 7:44 a.m. ET
Transformers star Shia LaBeouf was escorted out of a Broadway show and detained by New York City police following allegedly disruptive behavior during a performance of Cabaret on Thursday night, according to reports.
“He has been detained. He is expected to be charged but nothing has been filed yet,” an NYPD spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter. CNN reports that police said the actor had been drunk, disruptive to theatergoers at Studio 54 and lit a cigarette before being detained and led away in handcuffs. Police Spokesman Brian Sessa said LaBeouf was later charged with criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.
Broadway songwriter Benj Pasek tweeted that he saw the actor led away in tears.
No one from LaBeouf’s camp has yet commented on the incident.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating