The Spanish soccer team had an unfortunate end to an unfortunate World Cup.
On the flight home from an early — and embarrassing — elimination Tuesday, the team’s plane was struck by lightning when it was about to touch down in Madrid. According to Iberia airlines, no one was injured and the aircraft went unharmed.
No word on if the players’ hair was impacted.
Santi Cazorla of Spain looks on during the National Anthem prior to the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Group B match between Australia and Spain Jeff Gross—Getty Images
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science