U.S. soccer star Landon Donovan didn’t make the World Cup team, but Samsung didn’t seem get the memo and wished him luck anyway in an embarrassing social media flub.
“Best of luck to Landon Donovan & the USA team,” tweeted SamsungMobileArabia, the electronics company’s account based in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. Samsung’s #GALAXY11 campaign featuring Donovan and other international soccer stars in space-suit-like outfits first appeared in 2013.
Instead of going to Brazil as part of the 23-man team, Donovan has been spending his summer working as an analyst for ESPN. His exclusion from the roster, however, has been a source of controversy.
It could have been worse, though: At least there wasn’t a photo of a giraffe involved.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving