U.S. soccer star Landon Donovan didn’t make the World Cup team, but Samsung didn’t seem get the memo and wished him luck anyway in an embarrassing social media flub.
“Best of luck to Landon Donovan & the USA team,” tweeted SamsungMobileArabia, the electronics company’s account based in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. Samsung’s #GALAXY11 campaign featuring Donovan and other international soccer stars in space-suit-like outfits first appeared in 2013.
Instead of going to Brazil as part of the 23-man team, Donovan has been spending his summer working as an analyst for ESPN. His exclusion from the roster, however, has been a source of controversy.
It could have been worse, though: At least there wasn’t a photo of a giraffe involved.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List