Australian officials will announce a new search zone for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 on Wednesday, the agency leading the search announced Sunday.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said re-analyzed satellite data could move the search zone several hundred kilometers south of where it had been looking, CNN reports.
Since the flight went missing in March with 239 people aboard, search efforts have found no sign of the Boeing 777 plane or its passengers.
London newspaper The Sunday Times reported this weekend that Malaysian police have identified captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah as the primary suspect in the plane’s disappearance, but a police spokesperson denied the claims and told CNN that nothing had been conclusive so far and that the investigation was on-going.
The Times’ report acknowledges that police have not ruled out terrorism or mechanical errors and that the case against him relies on circumstantial evidence.
Shah was the only person in the flight crew who had no future plans or obligations, according to the story, and he had reportedly plotted and deleted flight paths to small runways across the Indian Ocean on a flight simulator at his home.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer