Correction appended Saturday, June 21.
National soccer icon Hope Solo was arrested early Saturday morning for allegedly assaulting her sister and nephew at her Seattle home, police told TIME.
Solo, 32, was hosting a large party when she attacked her sister and nephew shortly before 1 a.m., leaving visible injuries on both of them, police said. Her nephew is a teenager and her sister is in her forties.
Solo is being held without bail at the South Correctional Entity Regional Jail under the name Hope Amelia Stevens on charges of fourth-degree assault. Her first court appearance is set for Monday morning.
The star American goalkeeper won two Olympic gold medals playing for the U.S. Women’s National Team. She currently plays for the National Women’s Soccer League’s Seattle Reign FC.
“I consider [Solo] a celebrity in Seattle,” Kirkland Police Lt. Mike Murray told TIME. But “she was very uncooperative. She can lose her temper very easily.”
The Seattle Reign FC said on Twitter they were gathering information about Solo’s arrest.
Solo’s then-boyfriend Jerramy Stevens, a former National Football League player, was arrested in 2012 for allegedly assaulting Solo shortly before the two married. After the incident with Stevens, Solo told the Seattle Times that she was living in the spotlight of misleading reports.
“At the end of the day, I can’t really let myself get too angry about outside opinions that are or aren’t true,” she said.
Correction: The original version of this story misstated the league in which Seattle Reign FC plays.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022