Here are the stories TIME is watching this Friday, June 20.
President Barack Obama announced the U.S. will be deploying special troops to Iraq to advise Iraqis on fighting against militants.
The House of Representatives approved an amendment that would curb NSA ‘backdoor’ spying on Americans, primarily regarding Internet search histories, emails and chats.
Supporters of marijuana legalization now have a powerful opponent: the Pope.
And finally, what happens when you put a man covered in Mentos and drop him in a tub of Coke? Thanks to these guys, now we know.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World