Here are the stories TIME is watching this Friday, June 20.
President Barack Obama announced the U.S. will be deploying special troops to Iraq to advise Iraqis on fighting against militants.
The House of Representatives approved an amendment that would curb NSA ‘backdoor’ spying on Americans, primarily regarding Internet search histories, emails and chats.
Supporters of marijuana legalization now have a powerful opponent: the Pope.
And finally, what happens when you put a man covered in Mentos and drop him in a tub of Coke? Thanks to these guys, now we know.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time