Surveillance footage from a White Plains, NY gas station last Tuesday shows a car crashing into a gas pump, causing flames to erupt.
Fortunately, an off-duty police officer was at the gas station at the same time. John Vescio, a New York State Police senior investigator, sprang to action and pulled the elderly driver from the crashed car to safety. The 69-year-old driver was apparently suffering from a diabetic episode and had been trapped inside his car.
Both escaped with minor injuries, and Vescio told The Journal News he planned on visiting the driver his first day back on duty.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org