What’s wrong with this picture?
On Saturday, Thought Catalog published a “feminist” essay called 5 Things Women Need to Do in Their 20’s (Or Else the Suffragists Died For Nothing) that wasn’t written by a feminist at all. In fact, it was reportedly written by a poster on the Bodybuilding.com forum as a total joke. Using the pen name Anne Gus, the user described himself (herself?) thusly: “I’m a feminist. I’m a woman. I’m strong. I’m in my twenties. I’m beautiful. I deserve love. Give me it.”
If that didn’t tip Thought Catalog editors off to the fact that the post was satire, maybe some of the included suggestions should have. The highlights:
From suggestion #2, Party:
From suggestion #3, Major in women’s studies:
Susan B. Anthony would be proud.
AryanofValhalla, the gym bro responsible, came clean on the Bodybuilding forum:
Anne Gus has gone on to write “Sorry Dudes: Here’s 5 Reasons That Girl You LIke Doesn’t Want Anything To Do With You.” If you’ve ever wondered whether Thought Catalog will publish literally anything, now you have your answer.
(We’ve reached out to Thought Catalog and will update if we hear back.)
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating