Paralympic snowboarder Amy Purdy lost both legs below the knee when she was 19, but that didn’t stop her from snowboarding — or even dancing on national TV.
In between the Sochi 2014 Paralympic events, Purdy practiced in hotel lobbies with partner Derek Hough to prepare for Dancing with the Stars.
The result? A stunning performance that received a standing ovation from the audience and a score of 24/30 from the judges.
“For somebody to take the chance and be courageous enough to do a show like this, it’s just really inspiring to me,” Hough wrote on his blog. “I could tell without even meeting her that she didn’t see herself as disabled.”
Watch the awe-inspiring performance up top.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart