House Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s shocking primary loss Tuesday may have sent shivers up the spine of the Republican establishment, but it was met with glee in Tea Party circles.
Chip Roy, Texas RepublicanSen. Ted Cruz’s chief of staff, adopted his boss’ signature “Make DC Listen” line in a Twitter after the race was called for Dave Brat.
Cruz and Cantor maintained a contentious relationship after the conservative senator orchestrated a strategy that pushed the government to shut down last year.
Separately, Tea Party groups and candidates across the country rushed to hold up the victory as a sign that their movement is resurgent despite coordinated attacks from the establishment.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving