That’s Professor Franco to you. The actor and nude-selfie aficionado has taught in the English departments at renowned universities such as UCLA and NYU, and now he’s taking his classroom online with a $25, self-paced course opening today on the online learning site Skillshare.
Co-taught by Franco’s acting-school buddy Vince Jolivette, with whom he co-founded Rabbit Bandini Productions, “Introduction to Screewriting for Short Films” is a 90-minute, 15-lesson program that draws on the duo’s own years of experience and walks aspiring screenwriters through every step of the process, from conceiving ideas to pitching investors.
“For this class, we’ll be working on adaptation,” Franco says in the trailer for the class. “It’s a great first step, and what’s really exciting is when we all work on similar material, because then we start to learn from each other.”
Students will adapt one of three works — The Spoon River Anthology, Pastures of Heaven or Winesburg, Ohio — to create an 8-minute screenplay. Franco and Jolivette will read the 10 most up-voted screenplays on Skillshare and offer individualized feedback on their favorite.
“There’s part of me that also thinks of my younger self, who wasn’t in those film programs, because I really get excited by the idea of being able to share some of our experiences and lessons,” Franco says. “I think I’m as equipped as any.”
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.