That’s Professor Franco to you. The actor and nude-selfie aficionado has taught in the English departments at renowned universities such as UCLA and NYU, and now he’s taking his classroom online with a $25, self-paced course opening today on the online learning site Skillshare.
Co-taught by Franco’s acting-school buddy Vince Jolivette, with whom he co-founded Rabbit Bandini Productions, “Introduction to Screewriting for Short Films” is a 90-minute, 15-lesson program that draws on the duo’s own years of experience and walks aspiring screenwriters through every step of the process, from conceiving ideas to pitching investors.
“For this class, we’ll be working on adaptation,” Franco says in the trailer for the class. “It’s a great first step, and what’s really exciting is when we all work on similar material, because then we start to learn from each other.”
Students will adapt one of three works — The Spoon River Anthology, Pastures of Heaven or Winesburg, Ohio — to create an 8-minute screenplay. Franco and Jolivette will read the 10 most up-voted screenplays on Skillshare and offer individualized feedback on their favorite.
“There’s part of me that also thinks of my younger self, who wasn’t in those film programs, because I really get excited by the idea of being able to share some of our experiences and lessons,” Franco says. “I think I’m as equipped as any.”
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was