Here are the stories TIME is watching this Monday, June 9.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for a deadly attack on Pakistan’s Karachi International Airport that left 29 dead, making a grave statement about their formidable terror capabilities.
2 police officers and 1 civilian are dead after a couple opened fire at a Walmart in Las Vegas, before apparently killing themselves. Witnesses heard them shouting “This is the start of a Revolution.”
Comedian Tracy Morgan remains in critical condition after a Walmart truck hit Morgan’s vehicle from behind early Saturday morning.
And finally, the Seattle Symphony likes big butts and it cannot lie. The classical music ensemble paired up with Sir-Mix-A-Lot to deliver a symphonic version of his racy 1992 hit “Baby Got Back.”
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms