Google is receiving a deluge of requests from people hoping to delete individual search results, as Europeans exercise their newly-won “right to be forgotten.”
Google said Tuesday it had received 41,000 requests from people in the first four days after posting a request page late last week, the Wall Street Journal reports, amounting to more than 10,000 requests per day, or roughly 7 each minute.
The Luxembourg-based European Court of Justice ruled last month that search engines must accept requests to remove links from individual name searches. Critics of the court’s ruling say it could limit free speech and allow for a whitewashing of the internet.
The sheer volume of requests has led Google to consider hire new staffers or re-dedicating staffers to deal with submissions.
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color