Jenny McCarthy usually does harm by promoting her inconsistent and misinformed stance on childhood vaccines, but today she tried something new: a transphobic joke on Twitter.
Responding to rumors that Jennifer Lopez’s boyfriend Casper Smart was cheating on her with a swimsuit model who is also transgender, McCarthy wrote in a since-deleted tweet, “Did Jennifer Lopez’s boyfriend cheat with a transsexual model? I heard JLo gave him an ultimatum: ‘it’s either me or her/him!'”
For obvious reasons, it’s not funny—misgendering someone (identifying a person by a name, gender or pronoun that person doesn’t identify with) or making their gender identity the butt of a “joke” is a harmful and disrespectful. Also, though some people choose to identify with the label, “transsexual” is a mostly-outdated term that has origins in medical communities and shouldn’t be used to describe someone unless that person expresses a preference for it, according to GLAAD’s guidelines.
McCarthy has taken the tweet down, but hasn’t otherwise acknowledged or apologized for it.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating