Disney cast a spell over theaters with Maleficent, the dark retelling of the classic Sleeping Beauty fairy tale. The film, which stars Angelina Jolie as the legendary villainess, is expected to earn $70 million in its opening weekend, according to Box Office Mojo.
Though TIME critic Richard Corliss wrote that nearly everything about the movie was “a dismaying botch” — with the exception of Jolie — the film’s flaws clearly didn’t stop moviegoers from showing up en masse.
Last week’s box-office victor, X-Men: Days of Future Past, saw a steep drop from its $91 million opening weekend but is expected to earn $31 million more by the weekend’s end.
Seth MacFarlane’s A Million Ways to Die in the West made a disappointing debut at third place with only an expected $16 million this weekend, almost a third of Ted’s $20.6 million opening back in 2012.
- Amanda Gorman on the Greatest Lesson She’s Learned This Year
- What Actually Worries U.S. Doctors About Omicron
- Reuniting Families Separated Under Trump Is Expensive. Should the U.S. Government Pay?
- The 10 Best Movies of 2021
- America's Foster Care System Is a Dangerous Place for Trans Teens. Now They're Fighting for Change
- Stressed About Going Back to the Office? Here Are 8 Ways to Make It Easier
- What to Know About Digital World, the Company Funding Trump's New Social Media Platform 'TRUTH Social'