Disney cast a spell over theaters with Maleficent, the dark retelling of the classic Sleeping Beauty fairy tale. The film, which stars Angelina Jolie as the legendary villainess, is expected to earn $70 million in its opening weekend, according to Box Office Mojo.
Though TIME critic Richard Corliss wrote that nearly everything about the movie was “a dismaying botch” — with the exception of Jolie — the film’s flaws clearly didn’t stop moviegoers from showing up en masse.
Last week’s box-office victor, X-Men: Days of Future Past, saw a steep drop from its $91 million opening weekend but is expected to earn $31 million more by the weekend’s end.
Seth MacFarlane’s A Million Ways to Die in the West made a disappointing debut at third place with only an expected $16 million this weekend, almost a third of Ted’s $20.6 million opening back in 2012.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time