Dan Pfeiffer, a White House senior advisor, said on NBC’s Meet the Press that Russia was isolating itself from the international community by pushing forward with the referendum in Crimea to split from Ukraine.
On CNN, Sen. John McCain called for a “fundamental reassessment” of the U.S. relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
A Senate committee has already passed a bill that places harsh economic sanctions on Russia and sends financial aid to Ukraine. That bill was pushed by President Barack Obama and the White House. It will have to win approval on the Senate floor and in the House before going in to effect.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Trump Indicted in Classified Docs Case
- Jason Isbell Is Finding His Purpose
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Why Berberine Is Not 'Nature's Ozempic'
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best Shows to Stream on (HBO) Max
- 9 Ways to Combat Self-Criticism