J.B. Mauney recently won the 2013 World Professional Bull Riding Championship, making him the first American to do so since 2009. The North Carolina native spoke with TIME’s Belinda Luscombe for this week’s magazine about the intelligence of bulls, disregard for broken bones and his many tattoos.
Plus, hear why Mauney thinks New York is his favorite city for bull riding.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Diane Tsai at firstname.lastname@example.org