J.B. Mauney recently won the 2013 World Professional Bull Riding Championship, making him the first American to do so since 2009. The North Carolina native spoke with TIME’s Belinda Luscombe for this week’s magazine about the intelligence of bulls, disregard for broken bones and his many tattoos.
Plus, hear why Mauney thinks New York is his favorite city for bull riding.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World