J.B. Mauney recently won the 2013 World Professional Bull Riding Championship, making him the first American to do so since 2009. The North Carolina native spoke with TIME’s Belinda Luscombe for this week’s magazine about the intelligence of bulls, disregard for broken bones and his many tattoos.
Plus, hear why Mauney thinks New York is his favorite city for bull riding.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating