The 78-year-old man who woke up in a body bag at a funeral home has now died, the Associated Press reports.
Walter Williams was accidentally pronounced dead two weeks ago. A Mississippi funeral home was preparing to embalm him when he began to move. He had been hospitalized in February because of congestive heart failure. A coroner pronounced Williams dead when he and several nurses could not find a pulse. Williams’ family now believes his pacemaker may have stopped working for a period of time.
Williams died around 1 a.m. on Thursday.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Eliana Dockterman at email@example.com