Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R—Wash.) is giving the GOP’s official response to President Obama’s State of the Union address Tuesday, but just who is the House’s top ranking female member?
A five-term congresswoman from Washington’s fifth district, McMorris is the fourth highest House GOP leader and highest-ranking woman.
The selection of McMorris Rodgers, a Republican leader since 2009, comes at a time when the Republican party is working to narrow a significant gender gap, after drawing criticism in recent years over insensitive comments made by some lawmakers about women’s issues.
President Obama defeated GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney by double digits among female voters in 2012.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer