A man accused of stealing a car and kidnapping a four-year-old boy was arrested Wednesday after a high-speed police chase through Denver, reports KSHB. The suspect, who has been identified as 28-year-old Ryan Stone, allegedly stole a minivan at a gas station with the child inside Wednesday morning.
After the police issued an Amber Alert, the stolen red minivan was spotted on the interstate. The thief used the red minivan to block a gold minivan. When the two people in that car got out, he carjacked it and drove the wrong way on the interstate. The boy was left in the red minivan, and police later recovered him.
The suspect was able to avoid stop sticks that police had placed on the road at least two times, driving at speeds of up to 117 miles per hour. He hit several cars and a State Patrol trooper who was trying to put down stop sticks. The police officer is currently in surgery.
The carjacker finally pulled over after hitting a silver BMW. When the BMW’s driver stopped her car, he pulled her out of the driver’s seat and threw her to the ground, before driving off in the BMW. Police finally caught him after he crashed the BMW and abandoned it, trying to evade forces on foot. The chase lasted more than an hour in total.
Stone has a long criminal record that includes drug charges. Stone’s girlfriend had been arrested in a stolen car on Tuesday night.
All the victims of the crashes and carjackings are healthy, according to the police.
- Column: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive